Best homemade remedy for acidity in the body is always preferable by almost all of us. But do you know the root cause of acidity in the body? Maybe most of us must be aware of it but not the in-depth concept of acidity being deeply connected to our body system.
Since ages our Ayurvedic science has classified our body’s nature into three prominent elemental wings. They are Pitta –The Heat Energy in the body, Vatta – The Acidity in the body, and Kapha – The Cough in the body. According to Ayurvedic science, each one of us has at least one of these elementary problems in our body.
Among them Vatta or Acidity is a very common one. Thus, in this blog you will get to know all about Acidity, its related causes, symptoms, treatment, homemade remedies for acidity and how to regulate acidity in the body from frequent occurrences.
What Does Acidity in the Body Mean?
To know more about curing acidity by homemade remedies for acidity it is very essential to know about what is actually acidity?
The food that we eat passes into our stomach through the esophagus and the gastric glands present in your stomach create acid, which is essential to digest the food. But during the digestion process if the gastric glands create more acid than is required, then an individual feels a burning sensation below the breastbone. Thus, this very condition is commonly tabled as acidity in the body.
Also, called acid reflux, acidity is a condition that is described by heartburn felt around the lower chest area. It commonly happens when stomach acid flows back up into the food pipe. So, the most common acid reflux symptom is a burning sensation in the chest or pain. Apart, most people suffer in pain, just because of poor lifestyle and eating habits being the primary reason behind acidity.
NOTE – Do not ignore to visit your doctor when acidity symptoms occur more than twice a week. He may diagnose you with Gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD. Also, chronic acidity may lead to serious risks.
These risks are detailed as –
- Damage of Esophagus: Esophagus is the tube that connects your mouth to your stomach. If acid moves back up and enters the esophagus, it sets the stage for esophageal ulcers, oesophagitis, esophageal strictures, and Barrett’s Oesophagus.
- Esophagus Cancer: If you have a family history of esophagus cancer then there is an increased risk of esophagus cancer.
- Cavities or Tooth Decay: It is the very common problem when acid reflux that can wear down the enamel of your teeth. Also, it can lead to cavities.
Top Causes of Acidity
Let’s move to our second very important head, the leading top causes of acidity. Actually, acidity is the result of excess production of acid in the stomach by the gastric glands.
Some of the very close factors that cause acidity in the body include:
1.Unhealthy Eating Habits
- Irregular eating hours and missing meals
- Eating just before sleeping
- Wide intake of spicy food
- High intake of table salt
- Less fiber in the diet
2.Extreme Intake of Certain Food Items
- High acidic drinks such as tea, coffee, soft and carbonated drinks.
- Intake of highly spicy food
- Frequently eating fat rich food like pizza, doughnuts.
- Having deep fried food
3. Side-effects of certain brief medications or existing medications.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Medicines for high blood pressure
- Depression and anxiety medications
4. Stomach Disorders
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Peptic ulcers.
5. Some other causes include:
- Eating non-vegetarian food
- Excessive stress
- Lack of sleep
- Regular smoking and drinking habits
- Lack of physical exercise
Apart from this, acidity often attacks the mass of those who suffer from medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes, and connective tissue disorder. Moreover, it is also a common problem in people who are obese, pregnant women, or women who are nearing menopause.
Symptoms of Acidity
The symptoms of acidity can differ from one person to another and most of the time can be cured by best homemade remedies for acidity. Most of the points that contribute to gas can also lead to acidity. This means gas and acidity symptoms are almost similar.
The recorded common acid reflux symptoms are chest pain and burning sensation below the breastbone. Also, there are other symptoms that are uncommon.
Following are the symptoms of acidity –
- Burning sensation and pain in the stomach, chest and in the throat
- Problem in swallowing food being stuck in your throat
- Frequent burping or hiccups, for no apparent reason
- Constipation and indigestion
- Bad breath
- Prolonged sour taste in the mouth or bitter-tasting acid that backs up into your throat and mouth
- Post-meal heaviness
- Nausea and restlessness
Some of the hyperacidity symptoms includes –
- Persistent pain or discomfort that moves from your stomach to your chest and sometimes even up to your throat.
- Chronic discomfort in the upper abdomen
- Bloody or black stool, and bloody vomiting
- Wheezing, dry cough, hoarseness, or chronic sore throat
- Weight loss for no apparent reason
NOTE – Never escape to visit your doctor if the chest is most times diagnosed as acidity. Your doctor will diagnose either by taking an X-ray of the esophagus and the stomach or with an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and suggest treatment.
Treatment of Acidity in the Body
There are two ways to get relief from being acidic either homemade remedies for acidity or by getting diagnosed by your healthcare provider. So, let’s get to discover them one by one in the details below.
Homemade Remedies for Acidity
Home remedies for acidity are the very first thing we search for immediate help to overcome from the problem. Most of us prefer home remedies over medications as acidity is a common problem that most of us face at least once in our lives.
So, here are some of the best home remedies for acidity including the following.
- Coconut Water: – This is a tasty treat and best homemade remedies for acidity. It is suggested to take at least two glasses a day to soothe your stomach and the digestive system.
- Fresh Lime Juice: – Having fresh lime juice at least an hour before lunch works wonders. It widely helps to reduce the uneasiness caused by acidity.
- Lukewarm Water: – Make a regular habit to drink a glass of lukewarm water after every meal.
- Watermelon Juice: – Believe me, taking a glass of watermelon juice with breakfast is one of the best home remedies for acidity in pregnancy to counter acidity.
- Buttermilk: – Nothing could beat a glass of buttermilk for controlling acidity. Have a glass of buttermilk after a spicy meal and this will help you to reduce the uneasiness as it contains lactic acid that normalizes acidity in the stomach
- Basil and Mint Leaves: – Almost found in every home basil leaves can be either munch or boiled in water. You can drink it frequently to reduce acid reflux. Also, use mint leaves in the same way to reduce acidity in the body.
- Healthy Diet: – Never skip a healthy diet that includes fresh vegetables, almond, banana, cucumber and yoghurt especially, pregnant ladies. They are the best homemade remedies for acidity in pregnancy as it gives instant and long term relief.
- Clove – Take a piece of clove and suck it when you have acidity. It will aid you to reduce the symptoms.
- Ginger – Using ginger in your cooking or boiling it to drink aids in digestion and reduce chances of acidity.
- Cumin – Since our great granny times cumin is recalled as a great remedy for acidity. Either munch or boil a teaspoon of cumin in a glass of water until the water is reduced to half. Then drink it on an empty stomach and get instant relief from acidity symptoms.
- Chew the Chewing Gum– Maybe it sounds funny or even unbelievable but chewing gum generates saliva that helps to move the food through the esophagus.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Promise yourself to take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water every morning on an empty stomach. This will help you to stay away from any types of problems caused by acidity.
- Water: – Because our 70 percent of body is made up of water it is always beneficial to drink lots of water. So, make a habit to drink at least two liters of water every day and eliminate the chances of acidity in the body.
- Quit Smoking and Drinking – Excessive drinking and frequent smoking widely causes a high rate of acidity. Therefore, cut down the consumption and stay away from being acidic.
Diagnose by your Doctor
Though homemade remedies for acidity are best to treat it and they do too but sometimes our problem exceeds the help of health workers.
According to your symptom level you will be treated by your doctor. He will first ensure that you have acidity or if it is a frequent complication of some other serious problem. Thus, in nutshell all further diagnosis of acidity is based on your condition and the depth of the acid reflux problem.
What will your Doctor Prescribe?
- Your doctor will prescribe an antacid that contains aluminum, calcium, or magnesium
- Your doctor may suggest the use of histamine blocking agents (H2 receptor blockers) such as cimetidine, nizatidine, ranitidine, and famotidine
- In case if your doctor finds the severe condition then he may prescribe proton pump inhibitors
- Further, if the doctor finds the condition to be extremely severe then he may suggest Vagotomy surgery. It helps to reduce the production of acid in the stomach.
- Your doctor may suggest certain do’s and don’ts based on your health, which can help you control acidity.
NOTE- Do not take any medicine without prescription from your certified doctors. Also, do not follow or give suggestions of medication without doctor’s consultation.
- Acidity gets caused when there is excess secretion of acids in the gastric glands of the stomach.
- Several health problems can be caused because of acidity in the body.
- Homemade remedies for acidity will help you to get a strong safeguard from acidity.
- Regular and serious acidity problems must be diagnosed by a professional doctor.
So, take care of yourself and stay away from the problem of acidity by always following a healthy lifestyle.