Best places to visit in Jaisalmer thrills each and every type of tourist folk with lots of heart full of excitement. After the phase of Covid the world has again started to get regulated and that of the travel and tourism sector. If you are planning to visit the best holiday destinations in Rajasthan, one of the colorful states of India then never miss to come to Jaisalmer.
There are various venues in the city but here are ten best places to visit in Jaisalmer that will add on to your memorable trip to the city. But, firstly let us collect the reasons why travelers love to explore the magnificent city of Jaisalmer and feel the essence of bravery in the soil of the city.
Why to Explore Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer?
Best places to visit in Jaisalmer starts with the introduction to the city. Nicknamed “The Golden city”, Jaisalmer is a vibrant city of Rajasthan. The town stands on a ridge of yellowish sandstone and is crowned by the ancient Jaisalmer Fort. The town lies in the heart of the Thar Desert and has a population, including the residents of the fort, of about 78,000.
Hence, let’s explore more of the best places to visit in Jaisalmer and drive the blog to know more information about the city.
What is the Best Time to Visit Jaisalmer?
Next is what is the best time to visit Jaisalmer? So, let me tell you the perfect time to plan your Jaisalmer trip that is from November to March. Because winters are particularly pink, beautiful and pleasant here, the visitors widely enjoy being in the city.
Best places to visit in Jaisalmer adds on with the various feasts and colorful carnivals. If you are planning to visit the city, then the month of February will cater you with a vibrant Desert Festival in the whole of this month. You can plan your trip around and explore the festival while enjoying camel rides and experiencing the local culture, food and the beauty of the desert to the fullest!
10 Jaisalmer Famous Places
There are ten Jaisalmer famous places that are widely visited by the tourist’s folk coming from the entire world. Some of the best places to visit in Rajasthan, Jaisalmer are named below.
So, here we go to explore the best places to visit in Jaisalmer and make your holidays memorable for lifelong indeed.
Being one of the best places to visit in Jaisalmer, Jaisalmer Fort is always adorned by all the national and international voyagers. Actually, Jaisalmer is known for the majestic Jaisalmer fort Located on the Tirukuta Hill. This fort was founded in 1156 by the Rajput ruler Jaisal, that fences the city. It is in fact, one of the largest forts around the world.
The fort was reinforced many times thereafter. Due to its location at the golden stretches of the Thar Desert, this fort is also known as the ‘Sonar Quila’ or the ‘Golden Fort’. The fort is widely lined with houses and temples and woven beautifully in narrow winding lanes.
Thus, add on the charms to the city and win the heart of the wanders too. Inside the fort, there are stables and fortresses of erstwhile kings of the Rajputana pride.
Exciting Facts of Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer, Jaisalmer Fort
- One of the most regarded best places to visit in Jaisalmer, the Jaisalmer fort is one of the largest attractions in the city. The fort never lost its importance and was a focal point during numerous battles between the Bhatis, the Mughals, and the Rathores of Jaipur.
- Being one of the best places to stay in Jaisalmer, the most amazing thing about Jaisalmer fort is that it is a living urban center. The walls of this fort house approximately have 3000 residents of Jaisalmer. This makes the fort a serious source of attraction among the visitors.
- Jaisalmer fort has the entry from the east, near Gopa Chowk. The visitors then pass through four massive gates zigzagging your way to the upper section. The final gate opens to the Dashera Chowk, the square situated in the center. And this way the travelers can walk through the fort to have a memorable time.
- While exploring the fort, one of the hilarious Jaisalmer famous places, the visitors can walk through the scattered route to roam around. There they can get to encounter a large number of handicraft shops that are settled to sell some exquisite traditional items.
Thus, plan your trip for the best places to visit in Jaisalmer and get amused with several such forts and monuments that display the royal embrace of the city.
Patwa Ki Haveli
Termed in one of the best places to visit in Jaisalmer, Patwa Ki Haveli is traditionally, ornately decorated havelis. This is precisely because of two things, first that it was the first haveli erected in Jaisalmer and second, that it is not a single haveli but a cluster of 5 small havelis. Situated in a narrow lane, the Haveli overshadows the relatively modest surroundings, it is one of the most famous buildings in Jaisalmer.
This best place to stay in Jaisalmer is overloaded with various tourists visiting from all over the world. Apart, though voyagers have to cross creepy lanes to visit the Patwa Ki Haveli still tourists and even local populace there do not seem to mind, because it does greatly enhance the aesthetic of the locality.
Exciting Facts of Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer, Patwa Ki Haveli
- Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer, Patwa Ki Haveli is first among these havelis was commissioned and constructed in the year 1805 by Guman Chand Patwa is the biggest and the most ostentatious piece of architecture.
- Best place to stay in Jaisalmer is believed that Patwa was a rich man and was a renowned trader of his time. He could afford and thus ordered the construction of separate stories for each of his 5 sons. It was built between 1860 and 1865 and is divided into five sections.
- The Patwa ki Haveli, one among Jaisalmer famous places, was completed in the span of 50 years. All five houses were constructed in the first 60 years of the 19th century.
- The Haveli is stated to be unique and the best place to visit in Jaisalmer as its exteriors are quite impressive. The first of the five sections of the haveli is privately-owned.
- Best place to stay in Jaisalmer, the Kothari’s Patwa ki Haveli has a museum, which gives us an insight into the lives of the royals in the nineteenth century is a must-visit deed.
The best places to visit in Jaisalmer popular as Patwa Ki Haveli is an interesting piece of Architecture and is the most important among the havelis in Jaisalmer. So, never miss to view it when you plan your trip to the city of Jaisalmer.
This remarkable and one of the best places to visit in Jaisalmer is nestled between the maze of the fort walls. Within the vicinity of The Jaisalmer fort lie 7 Jain temples which are an embodiment of beautiful structural designs. These temples were built way back in the12th and 15th century.
One of the best places to stay in Jaisalmer, these temples are dedicated to various Jain Tirthankars (Hermits). On the walls of the temples, the travelers can find animal and human figures, carved in the famous Dilwara temple style. The Jain temple has a Gyan Bhandar, a library, which attracts the interest of many tourists coming to the temples.
Exciting Facts of Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer, Jain Temple
- Best place to stay in Jaisalmer, the Jain temples are built from yellow sandstone and dating from the 15th and 16th centuries. Thus, these temples carry with themselves the memories of the bygone eras.
- One of the interesting facts of this best place to stay in Jaisalmer is that time has not been able to impact their spiritual relevance. Also, the building of temples neither has it obliterated the intricate carvings that decorate the insides of the temple walls.
- Jaisalmer famous place, remarkable the Jain temples, are extraordinarily beautiful with architecture. They resemble the marble Jain temples found in Mount Abu and Ranakpur.
- Right from ceilings to tombs to gateways, each and every part of this temple is decorated with mirrors, frescoes, carvings, etc. and this makes it one of the best places to visit in Jaisalmer for all the visitors.
Blessed being the best places to visit in Jaisalmer, these interconnecting Jain temples form a beautiful vision to the visitors. Hence, come to Jaisalmer and feel the peace with elegance in the Jain group of temples.
Sam Sand Dunes
Seriously, being one of the best places to visit in Jaisalmer, Sam Sand Dunes is the desert camp located at a distance of 41kms from the main city of Jaisalmer. They are spread over an area of 2 km and form one of the most beautiful sights that can be seen by human eyes. These silky sand dunes are one of the most popular excursions from the city.
Jaisalmer famous place, also called as the deep golden sand dunes of the city offers multiple amenities and activities to welcome their guests to let them enjoy a lavish stay. Travelers to this place can largely enjoy being in the camp by exploring camel safaris organized to take a view of sunset and sunrise.
Best place to stay in Jaisalmer, these desert camps also arrange for Rajasthani traditional cultural and traditional values that are followed since ages. All these together will let the voyagers to get immersed in a different world.
Exciting Facts of Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer, Sam Sand Dunes
- This being one of the best places to visit in Jaisalmer is exotic to visit. The visitors from all over the world come to witness mysterious happenings that from late afternoon until evening, the atmosphere of the place suddenly changes.
- Best place to stay in Jaisalmer, the Sam Sand Dunes ceases to be an attractive, lonely and tranquil place for the peace loving tourists. Also, it turns into a big extravagant carnival with food, fun, and frolic all around in the evening.
- If you want to immerse yourself in a complete desert experience, this Jaisalmer famous place does all for you. It caters the visitors to stay in one of the several tent resorts near the dunes and have complete involvement while camping here.
Best places to visit in Jaisalmer is deeply added with the desert camp and night camel safari into the deserts with family packages. Thus, enjoy a real experience of desert flavor with your family and it will offer you with added advantages.
Tanot Mata Temple
One of the most visited and best places to visit in Jaisalmer, The Tanot Mata Temple is a stock of miracles. Located on the Indo Pak border, popularly recalled as Tanot ji Mata Mandir is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Jaisalmer.
Actually, this Jaisalmer famous place is a miracle serving temple of goddesses Durga, the symbol of strength and bravery. After taking prior permission from Indian Army only visitors can come to the temples and offer their prayers to their mother goddesses.
Exciting Facts of Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer, Tanot Mata Temple
- This is one of the best places to visit in Jaisalmer is located close to the battle site of Longewala. It is believed that the deity, mata Durga is worshipped here and has magical powers that protect this village from Pakistani intrusions.
- In order to visit this best place to stay in Jaisalmer, travelers have to apply and need prior permission and permit pass from the Indian Armed Forces.
If you get permission to visit one of the best places to visit in Jaisalmer, then believe me you will be luckiest to feel the miracle of Hindu goodness all around.
Desert National Park
Being one of the best places to visit in Jaisalmer, this Desert National Park is just an exception to wander all round. The park is sprawled over an area of 3162 square km is an excellent example of the ecosystem of the Thar Desert.
This best place to stay in Jaisalmer is an exciting, memorable and place for the lovers of flora and fauna. Sand Dune forms around 20% of the park and the major landform consists of craggy rocks and compact Salt Lake bottoms, intermedivial areas.
Exciting Facts of Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer, Desert National Park
- Trust me this will be one of the best places to visit in Jaisalmer if you really want to enjoy being in the city. The beautiful lush green surroundings, an impressive number of birds, animals, and plant species are found here. Thus, making this place one of the major tourist attractions in Jaisalmer.
- The best place to stay in Jaisalmer, Desert National Park is also home to the state bird of Rajasthan- The Great Indian Bustard.
So, what are you waiting for? Just plan this best place to visit in Jaisalmer and explore it widely.
Our list of best places to visit in Jaisalmer includes the famous Kuldhara Village. 19kms west of Jaisalmer lies the mysterious abandoned village of Kuldhara where the Paliwal Brahmins were inhabitants. The village abandoned it more than 200 years ago and now is often used for shooting Bollywood films.
Exciting Facts of Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer, Kuldhara Village
- This Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer, Kuldhara Village has a story behind its being abandoned. The Paliwal Brahmins had to bear the burden of heavy taxes, their property was looted, and a daughter of one of the families was kidnapped.
- Further, their complaints fell on deaf ears, hence they left the village one night, never to return. According to the legend, they had plenty of wealth and gold, which they were unable to carry with them. This myth has attracted a lot of treasure hunters to this area.
- One of the best places to visit in Jaisalmer in the form the Kuldhara village has most of the houses in a dilapidated state. Apart, some of them have been restored for use as film sets for popular Bollywood movies.
So, wander tis best places to visit in Jaisalmer and exercise to experience a different feeling being here.
Next best places to visit in Jaisalmer includes the famous Bada Bagh. Even though Jaisalmer is believed to be a desert city, the rulers made hard attempts to add some greenery to its landscape. The Bada Bagh was one such endeavor that stood the test of time and is now a sprawling garden.
Exciting Facts of Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer, Bada Bagh
- Best places to visit in Jaisalmer, the Bada Bagh is located six km from Jaisalmer. This garden complex is home to the royal tombs and an artificially built dam that is the main source of water to this garden.
- Commissioned by Maharawal Jaisal Singh, this best place to stay in Jaisalmer witnessed an artificial dam that also served as one of the major sources of water for the inhabitants of the city.
- Jaisalmer famous place, the Bada Bagh has the Govardhan Stambh that will greet you. Also, you can visit the cenotaphs or the tombstones of the royal families. Built in ancient Hindu architecture, the surrounding has cenotaphs dedicated to each of the Bhatti rulers.
This best places to visit in Jaisalmer has some of these tombstones that are very ancient as the history of Jaisalmer. Thus, they serve a perfect delight for the visitors.
The Gadisar Lake is another best place to visit in Jaisalmer. It is a man-made reservoir built-in 1367 by Maharawal Gadsi Singh, after whom it has been named. This stately tank served as Jaisalmer’s vital water supply until 1965 and another historical monument that welcomes the guests widely.
Exciting Facts of Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer, Gadisar Lake
- Best place to stay in Jaisalmer, Garidar lake is surrounded by small temples and shrines that were built and exist to date.
- The Tilon-ki-Pol gateway, one of the Jaisalmer famous place lines, the road to the lake was said to be constructed by a famous prostitute of that area.
- Fearing that the Maharawal would tear it down, considering it to be beneath his dignity, thus, she added a Krishna temple on the top.
Hence, never skip the chance to roam around this best place to visit in Jaisalmer and trust me you will experience it differently.
Jaisalmer War Museum
Last but not the least, best places to visit in Jaisalmer includes Jaisalmer War Museum. The Indian Army has set up a historical war museum in Jaisalmer. This war museum is the first-of-its-kind on the western front traces the evolution of the Indian Army and covers in detail its inspiring contribution in mainly 1965 Indo-Pak War and 1971 Longewala battle including all combat operations and other nation building activities.
Exciting Facts of Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer, Jaisalmer War Museum
- One of the best places to visit in Jaisalmer, the memorial has been established in the military station of Jaisalmer. It showcases the bravery of the Indian Army and also commemorates the sacrifice of its heroes while displaying valor and courage of exceptional order during India’s wars.
- Best place to stay in Jaisalmer and view the essence of bravery is simply impeccable feeling. The museum boasts 106 mm Recoilless Gun employed to destroy a number of Pakistani tanks, occupy a place of pride in the memorial.
- Jaisalmer famous place, the memorial also has a state-of-the-art audiovisual theater for screening the movie on the battle of Longewala.
So now what is making you awaited? Explore the best places to visit in Jaisalmer and have experience you have never had before.
Best Places to Visit in Jaisalmer and Activities to Do
As you collect many best places to visit in Jaisalmer, the city has no dearth of amusement activities to do. After exploring the city as blessed with serene surroundings, colorful history, and culture, the other important thing is things to do in Jaisalmer.
Jaisalmer famous places have all kinds of activities for every kind of traveler.
- For Adventure Lovers – You can go for Parasailing in Kanoi and experience a serious adrenaline rush as the wind brushes past you. It is one of the coolest and offbeat activities in Jaisalmer. All you need to do is make a booking in advance to enjoy this activity.
- For Lovers of Paramotoring – Explore Best place to stay in Jaisalmer and have fun of paramotoring, simply enthralls the visitors. You can get a breathtaking view and click fascinating pictures or selfies of the golden sand dunes from up there while you are up in the air whirring through the skies.
- For Lovers of Speed – You can rejoice best places to visit in Jaisalmer by Quad Biking. The tourists love to explore the topography of the sand dunes while splashing dust by the bike as it roars through the desert is quite thrilling! You can also explore the desert in a cool SUV too.
- For Lovers of Shopping – Best places to visit in Jaisalmer also caters best shopping area to captivate your stay here. Shopping in the walled city of Jaisalmer is a delightful experience as it offers you with so many options and varieties of handmade products including clothes, jewelry, accessories, bags, footwear, etc. Furthermore, you can get some amazing puppets, Rajasthani textiles, Jootis, camel leather items, and yellow sandstone showpieces here.
- For Lovers of Spicy Food – While wandering best places to visit in Jaisalmer do not forget to try authentic Rajasthani cuisine and snacks. Believe me your trip to Jaisalmer remains incomplete if you miss out on Mirchi Vada, Pyaaz Kachori, Lauki Ke Kofte, Laal Maas, Kichha Ki Sabzi, and the ever famous Dal Baati Churma!
- For Lovers of Sweet Desserts – Not only the best hotels in Jaisalmer but even other eateries corners are full of sweet dishes. It has delicious Ghotua Ladoo, Gulab Jamun, Desi Ghee Panjiri Ladoo, Ghevaar to enchant your taste buds and make you crave for more!
Best Hotels in Jaisalmer
Apart, voyagers can find the best hotels in Jaisalmer, guesthouses, and lodges according to their budgets. These range from classy hotels to budgeted hotels that will provide you cozy stay into them. Including hotels, there are several eateries or street food markets that truly cater you with lip-smacking Rajasthani food.
If you are fond of tasting unique spicy food items, then all the hotels and Jaisalmer famous places for eating serves with all. Apart from enjoying mouthwatering Rajasthani cuisine you can also taste other food varieties too.
Best places to visit in Jaisalmer are not just places but it is a feeling in itself. The city has many layers to it, which you need to unravel with love. So, visit the city to get a glimpse of the life and times of the royals.